Hi, Susan from susanbcards here to share a Christmas craft tutorial!
I love to use dies and cardstock to make handmade cards, but I’m always thinking of ways to get more from my craft supplies. Although I tend to be a minimalist when it comes to home décor, at the holidays I want it to look festive, so I combined the two and came up with some holiday home decor using craft supplies.
I bought inexpensive black wooden frames (no glass) at a dollar store and at a craft store. The frame with the clip was marked down to 2 dollars! I wanted to dress them up a bit and make them my own. The best part is, I used temporary adhesive on the diecuts and photo mat so I can change these out for other holidays, but you can use permanent adhesive. The star of the show is the gorgeous shine from the 12x12 Cardstock Shop papers I used. Here’s how I made these; keep in mind this is a starting point, you can change the size of the photo or diecuts to fit whatever frame you have. You can also paint any frame with acrylic paint to fit your color scheme.
MERRY & BRIGHT HOLIDAY HOME DECOR DIY
- Black clip frame 9’L x 6 ¾”W x 1 ½”D
- Encore Silver Glitter Luxe Cardstock
- Stardream Copper Pearlescent Cardstock
- Sirio Ultra Black Cardstock 104C
- Black Archival Ink
- Scraps of gray cardstock, Encore Gold Coins Glitter Luxe and Stardream Antique Gold Pearlescent (for the star)
- Tree die, sentiment and embossing folder by Sizzix
- Alcohol Ink for the tree ornaments
- Hole puncher
1. For the embossed panel, cut a piece of the Copper Pearlescent cardstock to 4 ½” x 6 ½”. I wanted it to look like a piece of aged copper relief art, so I took a black Archival Ink pad and dragged it over the embossing folder. This will push the ink into the recessed areas after embossing the paper. Run it through a diecutting machine 3 times to get a good impression and ink coverage.
2. For the tree, diecut each layer of the tree once from the Silver Glitter Luxe cardstock and once from gray cardstock scraps, you’ll have 2 of each layer. The gray cardstock is glued underneath the silver cardstock just to give it dimension.
3. Take the scraps of silver cardstock from the tree diecuts and color it with small amounts of alcohol ink. After it dries, use a regular hole puncher to cut circles out.
4. Diecut the star from the gold cardstock scraps, diecut the tree holder from the copper cardstock.
5. Cut a piece of black cardstock to 5” x 7” for the mat. This will leave a ¼’ border around the copper paper. Glue the copper paper to the mat, then attach the tree.
6. Diecut the sentiment once from the Silver Glitter Luxe cardstock and once from the black cardstock. Glue the layers together and attach to the frame.
BLESSED PHOTO FRAME DIY HOLIDAY HOME DECOR
- Black frame 10’L x 6”W x 1”D
- Encore Gold Coins Glitter Luxe Cardstock
- Pop-Tone Cardstock Variety Pack
- Black cardstock
- Red ribbon scrap
- Sentiment die by Altenew, branch dies by Sizzix
1. Print a favorite photo, this one is cut down to 3 ½” x 4 ¾”. Mat the photo with the Gold Coins Glitter Luxe cardstock, this one has a ¼’ border around all sides, sized to 4” x 5 ¼”.
2. Diecut the Blessed sentiment from the Gold Coins Glitter Luxe cardstock and black cardstock, glue them together for dimension.
3. Diecut the leaves from Pop-Tone green cardstock, glue together. Diecut the berries from the Gold Coins cardstock attach to the branches.
4. Attach everything to the frame as desired.
These frames look great on a mantel or sideboard. You could also make several small ones to hold your favorite photos.
3D Paper Projects
American Crafts Cardstock
Back to school
Crafts For Kids
Cricut & Silhouette Crafting
Deisgn Team Member Monica Rodriguez
Design Team Member An Pham
Design Team Member Annie Chinoy
Design Team Member April Gonzalez
Design Team Member Cherie Dalton
Design Team member Christi Steinbeck
Design Team Member Joselyn Sierra
Design Team Member Kate Deignan
Design Team member Kathleen Eifert
Design Team Member Manasa Vavilapalli
Design Team Member Michelle Price
Design Team Member Naomi Krush
Dimensional Paper Projects
From the Owner Lynette
Glama Translucent Vellum
Neenah Classic Crest
New Years Eve
Paper Craft Tips
Paper Party Decor
Skin Tone Cardstock
St. Patrick's Day