Mother's Day Shadow Box Card Tutorial
Chances are your mom is someone pretty special, so she deserves an extra special Mother's Day card. Today I'm going to share with you a Shadow Box Card Tutorial that you can customize for Mother's Day. Once you have the basic design down, you'll be able to make custom shadow box cards for every occasion.
- 1 - 12"x12" Sheet Cardstock (I used Bazzill Bling in Diamond)
- 1 - 1.5' x 3.5" strip of green cardstock (I used Bazzill Mono in Nixon)
- 2 - .5" x 3" strips of Craft Plastic
- Assorted paper flowers
- Scraps of Rose Gold Foil, Silver Pow! Glitter Paper and Pearlescent Vellum for Mom sentiment and butterflies.
NOTE: If you own a Silhouette or Cricut machine, download the free Shadow Box Card SVG template here.
1. If you are creating this manually, let's start by creating the base of the card. Cut (2) rectangles 4.5" x 6.75" and (1) rectangle 4.5" x 5.75". The smaller rectangle is the center layer of the card and the two larger rectangles are the front and back.
2. From the center (smaller) rectangle, cut a circle approx 3" in diameter, making sure you are centering the circle before cutting. Create score lines .5" from each of the short sides.
3. From one of the larger rectangles, cut a circle slightly larger (approx 3.5" in diameter), again making sure to center the circle. Create score lines .5" and 1" in from each of the short sides. This is now the front piece of the card. Add the same .5" and 1" score lines to the other larger piece that will become the back.
4. Adhere your paper flowers to the inside of the back of the card. With the flowers facing up, fold the flap at the 1" score line inward towards the flowers, then accordion fold the .5" flap the other way. Repeat for both sides.
5. Adhere the craft plastic strips to the back of the middle piece at an angle, then attach your butterflies fluttering in the corner of the circle. With the butterflies facing you, fold the .5" flaps created by the score lines away from the front. Place glue on both of those flaps and then nestle the edge flaps into the innermost fold of the back piece ( see photo below).
6. Fringe cut the top piece of the green rectangle and then adhere that to the back of the circle on the front card piece. Add your "mom" sentiment to the front bottom of the circle and add any embellishments.
7. Finally adhere the outermost flaps on the back piece and the front piece to create the card edges (see photo). If you carefully shift the card to one side and press down, the card actually folds flat for mailing.
Hope this was fun! After the first one, you'll find all kinds of reasons to make more!